Wednesday, March 10, 2010

NBA, 16 & Pregnant

I'd like to talk about two things which I love.

First, the NBA (although I've really gotten into college basketball this year, too). I think college basketball definitely has more energy and passion than the NBA and it's fun to see players playing who might never make a living playing basketball, but the NBA is fun to watch because of the players' celebrity statuses and because of the superior skills of every single player (compared to the skills across the board at the college level). That said, I am going to be a Milwaukee Bucks fan for the rest of the season. Normally, I am a 76ers fan; but they "suck" this year. I really like the Bucks. Brandon Jennings is a fireball. And while he is erratic, keep in mind he is a rookie and has the confidence level of a veteran! I also like their foreign imports Delfino, Ilyasova, and Bogut. Salmons was a great pickup and I like watching him since he was a former Sixer. Who else do they have? Oh yeah..Ridnour and the guy Luc Richard Mbah a Mboute (sp?)..they are fun players. In any event, I'm pulling for them for the rest of this season.

Secondly, I'd like to talk about 16 & Pregnant. What a good show. I think it provides great insight into the youth of today. But the news is disturbing: the youth of today do not seem that smart.

One thing that seems to be consistent, however, is how bad the future fathers treat their pregnant girlfriends and how reluctant the girls are to recognize their boyfriends' poor treatment. I mean, the guys usually treat the girls like dirt and the girls always say to their friends, "I'm hoping he'll turn around," or, "He says he's ready to step up to the plate and be a father," or, "I think he's going to change," and on and on...

It's disturbing. It also makes you realize what a tough situation that is! These 15/16 year old girls are so you and now they're faced with the decision of whether or not to raise a child? The girls are still kids and you want them to have a normal life growing up..experience high school, college, and beyond..and you want them to be able to raise their own child..but both of those scenarios don't seem compatible. It is tough!

So in short..I am rooting for the Bucks for the rest of this NBA season and 16 & Pregnant is an interesting show! (Some episdoes I've seen in particular include Valerie, Nikkole, and Farrah)

No comments: